High School • STEM • CTE • P-TECH
Give your students the SkyOp edge!
SkyOp’s Drone Training Curriculum takes high school juniors and seniors from beginners to FAA-certified commercial drone pilots, ready to do aerial imaging, data collection, and autonomous flight programming. The jobs of the immediate future!
Unlike other drone programs, SkyOp's program focuses on high-value, in-demand skills that prepare students for the real world of drone operation. Students who graduate from this curriculum will have an FAA Remote Pilot Certification and multiple paths after graduation from high school.
Our unique and proven curriculum includes:
- Intro to Drones: Students will receive a basic overview of drones, how they function and fly, while also learning to fly effectively without GPS, and discuss how drones are currently being deployed for commercial and public safety use.
- Part 107 Test Prep: Students will gain an understanding of the safety and operational requirements necessary to successfully complete the FAA Unmanned Aircraft – General test and become fully-licensed drone pilots.
- Hands-On Drone Flight Training – DJI Phantom 4 Pro: Students will receive comprehensive outdoor flight training on the versatile DJI Phantom 4 Pro including all of its advanced features.
- Drone Photo and Video Production: Students will use their flight skills to capture outstanding aerial imagery (pictures and video) and then be taught how to manage and manipulate that data in popular digital editing software to create video productions.
- Intro to Autonomous Drone Apps with Hands-On Flight Training: Students will learn to program autonomous missions, becoming proficient in the execution of the autonomous flight protocols which enable many commercial drone deployments.
- Intro to Pix4D: Students will learn how to use an advanced photogrammetry software package to turn raw data into actionable intelligence as they are introduced to orthomosaic mapping, 3D modeling, point clouds, Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI), Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and more.
These six elements feature over 300 hours of instruction and will completely prepare students to become FAA-certified drone operators and begin a career. They will also be prepared to continue with degreed programs in colleges and universities. SkyOp is also working to establish credit transfer into colleges and universities.
SkyOp’s Unique LMS
SkyOp courseware is downloaded through our Learning Management System (LMS), but that system is not just a delivery system for computer-based instruction. Instead, it functions as a support mechanism for both instructors and students.
For instructors, it works as an online teaching edition, with background explanations and training information. The instructor portal also contains the Powerpoint courseware, which is downloaded prior to each class and used for teaching.
For students, the LMS offers a blended learning experience. Their portal contains videos, quizzes, and other homework assignments to work through. The rest of the classroom experience is hand-on, interacting with drones, the flight simulator, and other materials. The quizzes are based on standard testing technologies, and when completed and automatically graded, will be available to the instructor for review.
Class Scheduling Options
In addition to offering a complete program, we have also created an integrated drone training curriculum that can be delivered in multiple formats. A subset of approximately 90 hours is available and designed to be integrated into other courses to provide a general introduction to drones and their uses and applications, as well as prep students for the FAA Remote Pilot Knowledge Test. The course length can be tailored to your needs and timeframes by adding or subtracting labs and flying exercises.
Our flexible curriculum enables you to integrate drone training into your current school year programs or summer programs. SkyOp will work with you by providing configurable units through our LMS to meet your exact requirements and timeframes.
Funding Your Program
For more information on funding options for your drone program, click here.